This week my post will be about using the Client Push Installation on WORKGROUP systems. We all know that a manual installation will work on WORKGROUP systems, but wouldn’t it be easier to just use the Client Push Installation? In my opinion the answer would be, YES! And as long as the WORKGROUP systems are configured the same, the configuration is actually quite easy.
Before it is possible to use the Client Push Installation on WORKGROUP systems, there are a few things to keep in mind. The following points are a prerequisite and are not further explained in this post:
- The FQDN of the Management Point system can be resolved on the WORKGROUP system.
- The Network Discovery is enabled to find the WORKGROUP systems.
- The Client Push Installation Account has administrative rights.
Now let’s start with the configuration! It is possible to configure the Client Push Installation for WORKGROUP systems, because it is possible to use a variable in the accounts used for a Client Push Installation. So this makes it possible to also configure local accounts. To configure Client Push Installation for WORKGROUP systems follow, at least, the following steps:
- Navigate to Administration > Overview > Site Configuration > Sites and select the site.
- In the Home tab, click Settings > Client Installation Settings > Client Push Installation and the Client Push Installation Properties will show.
- On the Accounts tab, click <YellowStar> > New Account and the Windows user Account popup will show.
- Fill in with User name %COMPUTERNAME%\<USERNAME> with the corresponding password in the appropriate fields and click OK.
- On the Installation Properties tab, fill in as Installation Properties, at least, SMSSITECODE=XXX SMSMP=<FQDN_MP>.
After the configuration is done it is time to take a look at the results. The best place to look at the results is in the CCM.log after a Client Push Installation on a WORKGROUP system is performed. This log shows that it first tried my domain credentials. After the domain credentials failed it used the local credentials, which are configured via the COMPUTERNAME variable, as second. After the installation was successful the client will show up in the console as an active client with as Domain WORKGROUP.