It took a while but this weekend it was finally time for some testing of, what’s code-named, “Modena”. Modena is a tool, developed by Microsoft IT, that enables the ability of an End-User Experience by using a powerful OSD Wizard.
When you are searching for a way to get your users “involved” in an OS Deployment, then I would recommend you to take a look at Modena. The OSD Wizard of Modena (see picture) can be changed in a lot of different way’s. As an administrator you can select which settings can be done by a user and which are pre-set. By these customizable settings you can think about things like computername, domain, local administrators, language, time, image, backup (via USMT 4.0) and the applications. The nice thing about the applications is that you can first do a scan of the computer to see what applications are currently installed. Based on the results of this scan, applications can get pre-selected (or not). Besides al of these settings Modena also provides a better insight in what is happening with the computer during the Task Sequence.
To make a long story short, take a look at Microsoft Connect to get Modena:
>> https://connect.microsoft.com/site868 <<
Also take a look at the following links for setting up Modena…
1. Getting started with Modena – Step 1 – Installing Modena: http://blogs.technet.com/osd/archive/2009/12/15/getting-started-with-modena-step-1-installing-modena-rc2.aspx
2. Getting started with Modena – Step 2 – Create OSD Packages: http://blogs.technet.com/osd/archive/2009/12/16/getting-started-with-modena-step-2-create-osd-packages.aspx
3. Getting started with Modena – Step 3 – Importing Task Sequences: http://blogs.technet.com/osd/archive/2009/12/17/getting-started-with-modena-step-3-importing-task-sequence.aspx
4. Getting started with Modena – Step 4 –Introduction to OSD Designer: http://blogs.technet.com/osd/archive/2009/12/17/getting-started-with-modena-step-4-introduction-to-osd-designer.aspx
5. Getting started with Modena – Step 5 – Using Modena Online Services: http://blogs.technet.com/osd/archive/2009/12/18/getting-started-with-modena-step-5-using-modena-online-services.aspx
6. Getting started with Modena – Step 6 – Setting Up Applications: http://blogs.technet.com/osd/archive/2009/12/28/getting-started-with-modena-step-6-setting-up-applications.aspx
…and take a look at these links for the story behind Modena.
General Cravings of OSD: http://blogs.technet.com/osd/
Windows 7 Deployment Guide: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ee676738.aspx