This is more of a remember this for my self then probably in general, as this is a problem that we don’t run into that much. Only for me it was the second time already, but I couldn’t directly remember anymore what the problem was. So this post will be more of a reminder for the eventually next time…
Also this will be a short post as it will just describe the problem we ran into with my current customer and what the solution was. The problem we ran into was that after we deployed a new machine we could advertise software to it, but the installation would never start. Looking into the execmgr.log we could see the following message: “This program cannot run because a reboot is in progress or software distribution is paused.”.
Well, the solution for this was actually quit simple, just the searching for it took a while… Looking into the registry we could see that the Software Distribution-State-Paused-key was set to 1 and changing this back to 0 resolved the problem. This key can be found in the following location:
- x86 – HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SMS\Mobile Client\Software Distribution\State\
- x64 – HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\SMS\Mobile Client\Software Distribution\State\ (see picture)
We’re still not quite sure what caused this problem, but it seems to be something with ending a Task Sequence with a restart. After resolving the issue we found some other people with the same issue here and they are also guessing and linking it to the last step of the Task Sequence.