This week I want to devote a small post to a question that I read on windows-noob.com. The question came to the point whether, or not, it is possible to deploy applications via a task sequence, but only allow administrators to actually run it. This question triggered me to look a bit better into the different Client Settings and then specifically the setting of Install permissions. This setting gives us the possibility to prevent the initiation of available deployments via the Software Center and the Application Catalog on specific systems. So in this post I will show that setting by only allowing administrators to initiate available deployments.
Now lets start with the configuration, which is actually very easy, but like always it’s all about knowing that the possibility exists. The Install permissions –setting is another new (Computer) Client Setting under Computer Agent. This setting can be used to allow All users (default), Only administrators, Only administrators and primary users or No users to initiate available deployments on a specific system. To configure this, follow the next steps:
- In the Configuration Manager Console navigate to Administration > Overview > Client Settings.
- On the Home tab, in the Create group, select Create Custom Client Device Settings and the Create Custom Client Device Settings –popup will show.
- On the General page, fill in with Name <aName> and select Computer Agent.
- On the Computer Agent page, select next to Install permissions Only Administrators and click Ok.
- Select the new policy <aName> and on the Home tab, in the Client Settings group, select Deploy.
- Select <aDeviceCollection> and click Ok.
After the deployment of the new Client Settings it is time to take a look at the impact on targeted system(s). Normally I’m a huge fan of looking at the client logs for the results, but in this case the log files don’t “speak” as much as the real error messages. When a normal users now logs on to the system and tries to initiate an available deployment, the following error messages will appear.
|Software Center||Application Portal|