In some of my previous posts I mentioned that you still need the App-V Client to run the Virtual Applications. In this post I will tell the easiest way to install the App-V Client with ConfigMgr 2007. A prerequisite for this is that ConfigMgr 2007 SP1 R2 is installed and that the source files of the App-V Client (version 4.5 (CU1)) are available on a network share.
For installing the App-V Client with ConfigMgr there is a Package Definition file added by the R2 installation. I would recommend to use this file for installing the App-V Client with ConfigMgr. To do this follow the next steps:
- Open the Configuration Manager Console and browse to System Center Configuration Manager > Site Database > Computer Management > Software Distribution.
- Select Packages and click in the Actions pane New > Package From Definition to open the Create Package from Definition Wizard
- On the Welcome page, click Next.
- On the Package Definition page Browse to the AppVirtMgmtClient.sms file (the default location for the AppVirtMgmtClient.sms file is <Installation directory>\SMS\Tools\VirtualApp\AppVirtMgmtClient.sms) and click Next.
- On the Source Files page select Always obtain files from a source directory and click Next.
- On the Source Directory page Browse to the directory that contains the source files for the App-V Client and click Next.
- On the Summary page review the Details and click Finish.
- To access the new package select the Packages node and the package will show in the Results pane.
Note: Do not forget to create a Distribution Point for the new package before advertising it.