Sometimes it happens that a client cannot get its policies and the only errors you can find are that the Download of policy [PolicyID, PolicySource, PolicyVersion] failed (PolicyAgent.log) and that the DTSJob is in state ‘Error’ (DataTransferService.log). The weird part in here is that the client can connect to the Management Point (MP).
By looking at it with BitsAdmin it shows that not all the policies can be downloaded. The errors that it shows, look like there are problems with WMI. Now that the problem is located it is easy to solve. The only thing that has to happen is to repair WMI and to re-register the WMI Services.
How to repair and re-register WMI
- Stop the WMI Service (winmgmt),
- Remove the folder Repository in %systemroot%\system32\wbem,
- Start the WMI Service.
- Re-register the WMI Services (For this it is possible to use the following three commands:
- cd /d %windir%\system32\wbem
- for %i in (*.dll) do RegSvr32 -s %i
- for %i in (*.exe) do %i /RegServer)